Online Safety Practices
- Update your operating system
- Use and update your Anti-virus software
- Use and update your Anti-spyware software
- Use a firewall
- Don't open unsolicited or unknown email messages. If you do get an email or pop-up message asking for personal information, don't reply or click on the link in the message.
- If you're asked for your personal information - your name, email or home address, phone number, account numbers, or Social Security number - learn how it's going to be used, and how it will be protected, before you share it.
- It is easy for a scammer to impersonate someone he is not. Online you cannot easily even know what country he is from.
- File sharing networks can open your computer to the outside world. Someone may not just be looking for music on your computer.
- Freeware may come with spyware that downloads without your knowledge. This spyware can slow your computer down, and allow outsiders access to your personal information. Often "free" isn't really free.